Caring for Your Idle Car
With stay at home orders in place you are probably finding yourself looking forward to your daily walks! If you have a dog they are probably enjoying this new routine as well. Well, just like you and your dog need daily walks, so does your vehicle! Since the new norm for most of us is working from home, we aren’t adding to the wear and tear through a daily commute. While that seems mostly good, you might not realize that some issues can build up because your vehicle is sitting still.
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you maintain your vehicle during a driving hiatus:
- Fill up your gas tank and then add a gasoline stabilizer. The stabilizer will prevent condensation from building up and you will extend the life of the gas in the tank!
- Check your tires and make sure the pressure meets the vehicle manufacture’s recommendation. Keeping them filled to the right amount helps with wear and tear even when the car is standing still.
- Take your vehicle for a joy ride! Driving your car at least once a week will get all of the engine parts moving and help keep the battery charged.
- Don’t forget about regular maintenance. Many service recommendations, including oil changes and fluid replacements, are based on time rather than mileage. Your Toyota may even have complimentary ToyotaCare maintenance available, give us a call and we can check for you! Becuase our Service Departments is deemed an essential business, we are open for your service needs!
- Give your car or truck a good visual sweep every now and then and make sure that mice or other critters haven’t set up shop inside. Exhaust pipes and engine blocks are a favorite, so keep an eye out. A simple, humane answer is to spray essential oils like peppermint, clove, and cayenne pepper, which word as a natural repellant.
- Wash your car! Rain and bird droppings can damage the paint finish. Bonus: Spending an afternoon washing, vacuuming, and waxing your vehicle is a lovely way to spend some time outside! Tips on how to sanitize the interior of your car can be found here.
If you have any questions about your vehicle, remember, we are here for you. Our Service Department is an essential business and are open Monday through Friday from 7am – 6pm and Saturday from 7am – 4pm. Give us a call today at (770) 954-7749 or schedule your next appointment here.